Monday, October 16, 2006

Sweet apartment


Thanks to Bjarni's dad, things in Maputo have been running very smoothly. I'm staying with an Icelandic girl called Þóra who is the intern for the Icelandic International Development Agency (ICEIDA). She has an enormous apartment with 3 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, a guard and an empregada (a maid) called Laura, internet and cable TV. There's another Icelandic girl living here called Stefanía from Akureyri who is in the same position as me (i.e. turned up in Mozambique looking for work with only a vague idea of what to do). So, we have a pretty sweet set-up here. I don't really feel like i'm slumming it 'le bique' style though.

On the first night Margeir (B's dad) and his collegue Franklín took the three of us to Mundo's, a restaurant I had heard of before I arrived. It's where the author Henning Mankell (look him up if you like crime novels) eats when he's in Maputo. I had an enourmous, delicious steak, and tried the two local beers, 2M and Laurentina There seems to be an on-going argument over which is the better of the two; I am yet to decide where i stand on this issue.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Darling, you are my hero.
Miss you lots, I´ll write you an e-mail soon. Promise.

love you
Klara